(Image by: Lovely Little Kitchen)
Super Sprout™ Rye pairs really well with deep chocolate flavors and can make an incredible dessert for any occasion. This chocolatey brownie is rich in flavor and nutrition and would pair well with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. These brownies are super easy to whip up from scratch.Make sure your starter is active and ready to bake with for best results.For more starter info check out this blog post here.
1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
1 cup unalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup Super Sprout™ Rye Flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (regular or dark)
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup sourdough discard hydrated at 100% (or slightly more)
1/2 cup 80% or greater chocolate
1/4 cup semi-sweet morsels if desired
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 13x9 pan with parchment paper (enough to come out over the edges a bit)
2. Melt chocolate chips and butter together, stirring frequently to keep from sticking. Slow and medium heat is better than high heat and fast execution here. Melt until mixture is smooth.
3. Off heat, whisk sugars into chocolate and butter quickly, then once combined, let cool for 15 minutes.
4. While that's cooling, mix flour, cocoa, and salt together and set aside.
5. Whisk eggs and vanilla into chocolate mixture, then fold in flour mixture slowly until combined. Then add sourdough culture and all but 1/4 cup of chocolate chips (if you want them on top, otherwise add to batter now).
6. Spread evenly into pan, making sure to move batter to all four corners. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Sprinkle left over chocolate chips if you'd like and pop them back in the over for 2 minutes to melt as desired. Let cool completely (if you can!) then cut divide and share.
Note: You can also add pecans or other nuts to these brownies, in step 5 and step 6 if needed.
If you decide to try this recipe out for yourself, we'd love to hear from you! Snap a picture of your delicious brownies and share it with us on Instagram (@lindleymills) or tag us on Facebook! Happy Baking!